7.12.2015

The Hobbit- Smaug Amigurumi

    I know, I've already done Smaug before. But this time, I somehow got it in my head that I need to make my dragon proportionate to the dwarf company. I sure know how to make trouble for myself... This is my first time attempting an amigurumi of such massive size, and for a long time I felt like I'm in way over my head.

This is an early photo of Smaug, from waay back in February:


Do excuse the mess on my desk XD. This was taken when I just passed the point of no return. The head alone took over 4 skeins of yarn, and I was seriously worried about budget and time. I wanted Smaug to be the centerpiece of my Hobbit amigurumi exhibition, and it felt like I was never going to be able to finish. After completing the rough shape of the head, I considered just making the head, stick it to a plague of wood, and make it a dragon trophy. And I would have totally done that, except a friend of mine told me not to cop out, and I was crazy enough to listen to him.

The end product took me over two months, used up over 50 skeins of yarn, and is about 2 meters in length. A billion thanks go to my boyfriend and my roommates, who all have had to deal with the half finished dragon taking up a whole lot of space.

Anyhow, I am proud to present... Smaug the Terrible!!





The design is based off the final design of Smaug in the film, so it is two-legged instead of four like the smaller version of Smaug I made before.

Smaug makes the perfect sleeping companion. he is so huggable and the neck is perfect for slipping an arm under, and the wings are so big they can serve as blankets. It's like one of those boyfriend pillows. Hmm, now that I think of it, I should have put a recording of Benedict Cumberbatch's voice in it......

Oh, and here are some photos of the month-long exhibition of the dwarves. You can see little Smaug resting on big Smaug's wing. =)


I'm the one reading the book~ =)

4 comments:

  1. This is incredibly cool! Props to you for sticking with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a marvelous work! I really admire your patience! You wouldn't remember the pattern? I would love to make Smaug for myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! well done. Smaug is incredible! Cant believe how many skeins of yarn he took, geesh!

    ReplyDelete